Saturday, July 3, 2010

in praise of the mamas

The summer after I had Sydney was a rough one. I had quit teaching--the most social job in the world--to be with her full time and although I was thrilled to focus on her, the silence of that summer was downright oppressive. She was only 6 months old and not much of a play date yet and I didn't have mama friends to sip coffee with as our babies sat in the grass. I heard about my mom's group through the guy who sold us life insurance and that group saved me as a stay at home mama. Every Thursday I was surrounded by amazing women, friendly aquaintances who over the course of the year became friends. Even better, while I was pregnant with Elias, Sydney and I went to a play group with some of those same mamas and my mama soul was nurtured by a small group of wonderful women, wives, mothers, friends. My 24-7 nausea fell away while with them and Sydney met her closest pal.
That's also where I met my co-mama (a term I have shamelessly stolen from the Leftoverist)--my soul-mate mama friend who sees God, parenting, marriage, friendship, family, food...in ways so similiar to my own that she feels like a sister after less than two years of friendship. If my baby might have an ear infection, do I call the clinic? Nope. I call my co-mama (and my sister and my mom, but that goes without saying). If I am losing my mind and cannot think of one kind thing to say to my 3-year old, do I call my sweet hubs and complain? Nope. I call my co-mama and get the pep talk I need. I never write about her for fear of hurting anyone's feelings, but I think it's clear she has a special place in my heart. She deserves a week full of posts devoted solely to the goodness that she is to me.
.
I have been so blessed in these past few years with the gift of fellow mamas, besides my own mama who I call daily and my sweet sis who is a stay-at-home mama too. My fellow mamas, with their weekly support and input and examples of what it means to be a great mom, inspire me and give me strength. I think back on those times when Sydney was small and I felt like I was flying blind and solo and I am even more thankful for the network we have now.
I am so thankful for the networks of mamas everywhere who care for each other and reach out to each other in times of need. Power to the mamas! Keep it up ladies, because together, we rock.

No comments: