Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Day for Grammy

Depending on how you remember things, a year ago today, Grammy left us. I've been dreading the day's arrival for weeks and even planned not to go to my mom's group because being there would remind me of getting the dreaded call.

But, I decided to try to take a positive spin on our loss, since I know she's in a better place. Instead of focusing on being sad and writing bad poetry in my journal, the kids and I had Grammy Day. I tried to do as many things as I could that reminded me of her and it made the day kind of fun, although I inevitably checked my watch and remembered what was going on a year ago and felt some of the grief all over again.
To begin, I tried to find a chocolate croissant for breakfast, but couldn't find one in our little neck of the woods. I did buy some grapefruit, because she often had those at her breakfast table. The kids and I went for a pretty drive and listened to The Sound of Music the whole way (only the songs with "the girls" of course. Sydney doesn't understand that Julie Andrews is the star.) I wore a pretty flower pin on my coat. I made a boquet of fabric flowers (from this tutorial) in the afternoon that I thought Grammy would enjoy. Sydney and I made the no-bake cookies that Grammy used to make and that I remember her sending me in care packages while I was in college. I baked a ham for dinner and although I overcooked it, the smell in the kitchen was enough to make me think of her and her kitchen. I bought pretty fall napkins to accompany our dinner, in true Grammy fashion.

I think that next year we'll do the same thing to remember her, so I'll have a chance to talk to Sydney and Elias about her and enjoy the pretty and chocolatey things in life.

We miss you, Grammy. But, I know that the last year has been one free of pain for you. One without a bent spine and crooked hands. Even if only in spirit, you are slender and long and enjoying petit fours and tea. We love you.

4 comments:

Heather said...

What a sweet post, and what a thoughtful way to remember and honor our Grammy. She would have been proud of the way you celebrated beauty and took time to delight in the little things like chocolate and pretty napkins!

love you!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog with nice picture of cutie. Artificial flowers look wonderful. Enjoyed your blog very much. Keep it up the good work. cheers :) Iflorist.co.uk

amy said...

this is a lovely tribute, tif. thanks for being so mindful and intentional. you have such a beautiful heart.

mvpjmp said...

This is so sweet, Tiffany. And well written. I don't see how you could write bad poetry.