Tuesday, May 25, 2010

new adventures in our backyard


We have a crazy backyard that goes up, up, up and we aren't quite sure where the property line is. When we first moved here I thought that when our kids were 5-10ish they would love this backyard for all of its exploring fun and it made me think of the 20 acres I did some of my growing up on. But, I haven't really been up there all that much in the past few years.
.
Well, after dinner recently, Nick and Sydney go outside to put the compost into the composter (this includes a special "It's Compost Time" song and dance) and then they've been adventuring up the hill together, usually with Sydney in her pink sparkle shoes that are losing the sparkles from all the hiking in the dirt. I love the absolute joy on her face when she comes back inside, usually with flowers for me, so proud of hiking with her daddy.
.
One day last week, the kids were out of sorts and I was beginning to catch whatever was going on with them. So, we packed a picnic and hiked up the hill to find a picnic spot after a very long hike for 3 year old legs (Elias was in the Ergo, my life saver). It was so fun to be out, in our yard, on an adventure with my kids and it made me so excited for the years to come when we can do even more adventuring together. Sydney was thrilled to show us her hiking spots and insisted on leading the way. Elias was so happy on mama's back and outside in the fresh air. There is something magical about the outdoors, I tell ya. It turned our day right around. There is something almost as magical about slightly smushed pb and j enjoyed outdoors.
Now if my monkeys would wake up from their naps, we could go on another little outdoor adventure before we embark on a car trek tomorrow. I'm certain we will need some of that outdoor magic to get us through.

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

i love this. and i heartily agree with the outdoor magic.

and, i know i've said it before, but i will keep on saying it: your kids are adorable, tiffany!