My sister in law tagged me for a Meme, which I think means I post 5 random things about myself on my little blog here. Fun!
1. When I was a little kid I wanted to be a cop, specifically the first kid-cop on Chips (with Eric Estrada and the blond guy). In my mind, this did not mean being on a t.v. show; it meant really being an officer of the law with them--motorcycle and sunglasses and all. I would ride my banana seat bike around our circular drive over and over pretending I was with them and would also practice being interviewed as the first kid cop. Maybe I should have led with a less dorky factoid. hmmm.
2. I met Nick at my best friend's wedding and it was just like a movie, I tell ya. I first fell in love with Sarah and Tim (now sis and bro in law) who were so fun and who kept doing commercials for Nick the entire evening of the day I met them--the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner at which we broke up a food fight. I was not at all interested in dating at the time and was not especially impressed of the pics of Nick from their wedding. But, then Nick, much cuter than the pics had hinted, came to our table at the reception and sat down all nervously in a button up shirt and sweater vest and said, "Hi Tim" and wouldn't look at me. For some reason this made me think him awfully cute and...here we are.
3. I want to be a writer. Not necessarily a famous one, just a published one. I doubt it will happen, but there it is. I was reading the intro to Barbara Kingsolver's Small Wonder this morning and I was so inspired to write something compelling. I also want to hang out with her because her writing is some of my favorite.
4. I did not consider myself a creative person until I was promoted to marketing coordinator for a clothing company right after college (I had been an admin). I suddenly discovered the joy of paper and layout and got to learn photoshop and some other layout/design programs. It was so much fun that I started making cards with all of the fun paper I was finding at the art store. A few years later I made a few necklaces and barettes. Two years ago I learned to knit. Last year I learned to sew and quilt and now creating stuff is one of my favorite passtimes. I don't pretend to be very talented, but I sure love making necklaces and bags and felt flowers and baby hats and scarves...
5. I think that being Sydney's mom is the best job in the world. Better than any job before it and I really loved teaching high school English. I also loved serving coffee in a cool Seattle coffee shop and baked goods at a French bakery in Pike Place market. But, nothing tops waking up to a darling baby girl who lovingly says, "mama" when I walk in the room or listening to her sweet giggle when I tickle her under the chin while hanging her upside down or watching her light up when her daddy comes home from work to kiss us both each evening. Who knew that motherhood would the coolest thing I've ever experienced!?
um. this got long. sorry. I think I'm supposed to tag some other people. I tag Amy and Kari and my cousin Jenine (who doesn't have a blog, but is very funny and would be a great co-author for my book of essays on motherhood--maybe you can post it in a comment here Jenine?).
2 comments:
Believe it or not, I have random thoughts running through my head almost all the time. Just the other day I declared that just about *everything* tastes better with butter and salt on it. My randomness however is rarely clever or witty...just random. But since Tif was kind enough to enter an on-line contest at my behest, I'll give 5 random things a stab....
1. I like butter and salt on a lot of things.
2. I type much fancier words than I'd typically use when I talk. "Behest"? - flew off my finger tips....I don't think I've ever uttered the word "Behest"...ok, I just said it, but it didn't sound good coming out of my mouth. I think it might be from all those papers I wrote in grad school....
3. Speaking of grad school...I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I got a masters in Organizational Management instead of an MBA becaus the MAOM had less math/economics.
4. Grant still can't drink out of an open cup. I know the randomness is supposed to be about me, but the kid's lack of hand/eye coordination is a direct reflection on me. He's CUTE. At least he's got that going for him.
5. I have an ant farm. I don't even pretend that it's Grant's. I've spent hours watching them build tunnels and criticize their workmanship when they screw up. I have a minor freak-out when the husband or son tries to pick up the ant farm. I might have control issues.
Ok, there are my 5 random things. Thanks for asking me Tif! :)
Yay Jenine. I tried to write something more clever, but it's just not happening...
Post a Comment