Friday, March 21, 2008

Adventures in Sewing

So, I was inspired to sew this week and was having a great time until I came up against the wall of the dreaded learning curve. I borrowed this great pattern for a little sundress and picked out the cutest buttons and fabric from my closet stash. I was so excited to make Sydney a little dress that she can wear even when it's snowing here (the weather gods have not recieved the memo that it's Spring in the Palouse). But, as with all patterns, I got well into it and stumbled across a direction that had no picture: "Notch or cut curves." heh? The whole thing is curved! What is a notch exactly? How are new sewers supposed to know this stuff?! I even googled "notch curves" but got weird stuff that wasn't about sewing sundresses. hmm... So, as I usually do, I just plunged forward, skipping that direction. The dress came out very cute, with lots of character, but then I somehow miffed it on the buttonholes. My rookie attempt at buttonholes a month ago was so fun. I was actually searching for things to buttonhole because I found it so entertaining. So how my 2nd attempt went south is a real mystery to me. oh well. I doubt anyone will be picking Sydney up and peeking under the buttons to see what's up with the buttonholes.
Then, in my excitement over the prospect of Spring and Easter, I decided to make myself a simple a-line Easter skirt to match the very cute t-shirt that my sweet hubby got me from Anthropologie for my b-day. What a guy. I love their stuff, but always screech when I see the price tag. Anyway, this simple skirt got out of hand. I traced a super cute skirt my sis gave me because I love the way it hangs. I added a bit for the seam allowance and a little more so I could make the back have a seam down the middle instead of just the wide open space of my bum. Well, it was lovely and I had so much fun making funky orange zigzag stitches all over the place, but when I put the "finished" product on, it hung beautifully down for several inches and then went straight out from my left hip, adding to the fullness therein. So mean! I nearly threw the whole thing out because I had already finished all of the seams and done the hem when I discovered the left hip fiasco.... But then I realized we were going to Grandma's for a visit and there I would find two sewing guru's. So, Sydney and I went out to Grandma's house (who majored in home ec) to have her and Great Grandma (life-long seamstress) help me figure out the mystery of the skirt. Great Grandma was so kind as to rip out all of what needed to be redone and they both explained what I needed to do to save my skirt and even improve on the waistband. So, during Sydney's not napping crib playtime, I took their advice and voila! I have an Easter skirt!

alas. It's been snowing and the chance of me wearing a very thin skirt on Sunday are slim to none...okay this picture makes my fun skirt look so sad and boring. i promise that the turquoise waistband and orange zigzag stitches finishing the seams make it fun, not sad...

No comments: