Friday, January 23, 2009

taking it down a notch

I have been in my house since we came home from church on Sunday afternoon except for a walk with my dog during Sunday's naptime, a quick trip to grab some food essentials and a trip to the clinic yesterday with my poor, sick girl. One would think I'm about to launch into a rant about how I've nearly lost my mind in the past 6 days, but instead I've experienced this wonderful calm.
.
Sometimes lately, I've felt like maybe our little schedule is just a little too full, like perhaps I'm trying to sew too much, especially for other people, and too many mornings we're up and out the door to meet friends or go to a play group or run errands or... I love the things we do and the people we spend time with and excuses to buy fun fabric, but this week of slowness has been really wonderful. We've made soup and bread; we've watched Sesame Street and played with eachother's hair; we've danced in our pajamas to The Sound of Music or the music on her new trike; we've made inumerable pretend meals in her new kitchen, thousands of play doh balls and spaghetti strings; we've taken long bubble baths together; we've knit and knit and knit (or ran around with yarn flying behind us) and I can honestly say I've enjoyed just about every minute of it.

I've been blessed with a special girl, who despite a double ear infection which led to a seriously disgusting outpouring of goo and a cough that sounds like death itself, has been so loving and sweet, if a bit more cuddly and needy of mommy's love.

I highly recommend taking a week every now and again to hole up in your house and relish the simple things that make this season of life so very sweet (especially oatmeal, whole wheat chocolate chip cookies).
.
And, good news, my sweet girl is seeminlgy on the mend after 24 hours on her first round of antibiotics. Maybe we'll go do some fun stuff next week, but pace ourselves.

1 comment:

TheFiveDays said...

So sorry to hear little Sydney has been under the weather. It sounds like you have had a lovely time together, though! It is nice to slow the pace down a little.

We had a horrific stomach virus go through the house this weekend. One of the very few bright spots was seeing my husband snuggle up with Natalie on the sofa to nap and watch Horton Hears a Who. He is usually works long hours so this pretty much never happens!

Enjoy your time together!!