Saturday, January 1, 2011

"The BEST birthday EVER!"

This is what Sydney said on the way home from our string of celebrations yesterday and I have to agree. This is the first birthday of Sydney's that I haven't felt slightly mournful over. I'm not sniffing and longing for her baby days, but instead really enjoying this new phase of little girlhood. Nick and I were discussing it a few nights ago and as impossible as it seems to us, she just keeps getting cuter. And yesterday's celebration just highlighted what a great phase we are in with her.
.
We began the day, really, the day before when I let Sydney completely skip nap/quiet time to make cupcakes and cinnamon rolls and pink and purple frosting with me. We had such a lovely time together, just us, sampling the goods and playing with food coloring and sprinkles. Her real day began with a pile of presents on the kitchen table, those pink and purple frosted cinnamon rolls and everybody's favorite food:bacon.
We then scurried about and went to see a princess movie in the theater. For the event Sydney wore: her new Tinkerbell "dancing dress", underneath the dress I made for her and her dolly to match, a thick pair of tights with a hole in them and the Dora uggs we got her for Christmas last year. Is this girl 4 or what?
.
The drive to town was one of those glorious winter scenes that takes your breath away. It was bright and sunny and there was newly frozen snow on all of the trees. Sydney kept saying, "It's so beautiful for my birthday!"
.
We met up with her cousins Gracie and Eliot, and her bff Joey for the "show" and I had so much fun peeking down the row at them all cute and tiny in those big chairs with popcorn and pop and fruit snacks and giggles. Daddy and Gramma and Papa and Aunt Sarah were also there for the fun.
We were going to go home next, but Kassia called to see if we could meet her and the boys for lunch since they couldn't make the movie. So, to McDonald's we went to share a happy meal and visit with more dear friends. Sydney conked out in the car on the way home, so I ran up to the house, paid the babysitter (we have found a FABULOUS babysitter that lives right down the street, yahoo!) and carried my sleepy girl up the stairs. I was worried she was done for, but she said she still really wanted to have her galpal Ellory over for the cupcake portion of the day. So, Suzy and Ellory came over for tea and cupcakes and singing and candles (and more sweet, perfectly chosen presents). Then, in one final celebratory swoop, we were all four off to a New Year's Eve Party that some friends were having. Sydney and the boys all disappeared to the basement while the adults chatted and ate yummy food and the little guys ran about.
It was a glorious day from start to finish and I'm so glad that my girl enjoyed it so. I woke up early this morning to reflect on the past year, but found myself going over the night that Sydney was born four years ago and I just kept smiling into my coffee. That night changed me forever and I couldn't be happier.

Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

j said...

It sounds like you guys had such a great day together. I was thinking of you yesterday; I can't believe you have a four year old daughter! It's crazy how time just flies.

P.S. I LOVE that she had pink and purple frosting on her cinnamon rolls.

P.P.S. If they made a pair in my size, I'd probably own the pink sparkly Chucks she got for her birthday. :)