
The morning of my kiddos' birthdays, I like to get up while the house is silent, make my coffee and read their birth stories. It's a magical moment getting a baby into the world and it's worth commemorating and revisiting on special days. There are always details I've forgotten, sweet moments to be cherished again. I love this ritual and the reminder of the miracle.


As for other rituals, I've discovered that I'm not as big a fan. For example, the big crazy friend party. A few days ago I decided that Elias' love of all things "choo choo" would be a good theme for him and I went online to see what I could find to lead me down inspiration lane. Instead I ended up feeling overwhelmed by the amount of time and money that went into parties for toddlers.
Sydney went to a friend's party earlier this week with a total guest count of 2 and it inspired me. I called up the mamas of two of Elias' buddies and we arranged to have "a birthday moment" for my little mister during pre-school this morning. I made conductorish hats for the kids, packed up a few of the cupcakes the kids and I had made, blew up a few balloons and voila, it was a swell little celebration of my little man. Elias and his pals played, no one was overwhelmed and no one ate their mini-cupcakes at the same time, so the sugar rushes were staggered. Genius, I tell ya.



I highly recommend the very simple party, especially if you have a generous friend who offers up her spotless home for the mini-event! I always worry about hurting the feelings of the mamas of my kids' friends by not inviting everyone we know, but I'm beginning to think they'll understand my urge to keep things simple.
Elias had a great day, beginning with some water color painting that he suggested at 6:30 and ending with a little party with our little family. He is now in bed snuggled up with his guitar, his baseball bat, his choo choo and a red balloon tucked in with him. If only we could make him this happy for the rest of his days with a few well-chosen pieces of molded plastic! Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate our little man!

4 comments:
I LOVE the cupcake train! So clever!
Several of my friends have a "1 friend for ever year" policy for birthdays. So a 3 year old has a get together with 3 friends. Little ones can get so overwhelemed, I think it's a great idea! Both of my boys have only had family birthday celebrations. that's been good enough so far.
I've heard of that rule too and think it's a good idea. Do we get to cap the number when they turn 5? :) My kids love the family celebrations. In fact Sydney just asked me if we could have her turning 5 party at Gramma's house and remembers turning 3 at Gramma Jan and Grampa Jim's house, but not her awesome Super Why party that I made capes for. :)
p.s. I stole the cupcake train idea from one of the super parties. I ran out of Kit Kat's for the under part, so it had to be a short train.
It seems likes yesterday you were posting about morning sickness! Happy Birthday to that darling boy of yours...and congratulations on celebrating it a way that didn't make you crazy! :)
Post a Comment