I've reached the dreaded/longed for end stretch of pregnancy and with it the hilarity of this odd time. In one moment, usually after walking by a mirror and seeing my wonderful mama caboose, I am ready to give birth and meet my little guy and quit this being pregnant stuff. I start thinking about tiny toes and the smell of a new baby's head and I get all giddy and can't wait to have this little man. Then, a few minutes later I start panicking because I can't imagine loving anyone as much as I love Sydney, nor can I picture exactly how I'm going to be fully present for two little people, especially with my body all torn up and no sleep to rejuvenate me and give me a sunny morning disposition.
And, I've also reached the 3rd trimester sleep troubles/midnight mania. Last night I awoke at 11:45 and could not fall back asleep, no matter how tired I was. I flipped and flopped for an hour or so, then I read for an hour or so and then talked to Nick for a while and then started thinking about random things. big mistake. Here is a sample of how my midnight thoughts go, especially now that the nesting instinct has hit me:
We need to get baby brother's dresser painted.
Wait, I don't think I'm supposed to be doing much paint sniffing.
But, Nick is so busy with work and his classes that I don't think he really has time to paint. Maybe if I buy "green" paint from that cute shop in Moscow I can paint? or maybe if I wear a face mask it would be okay?
Why is our shower so gross looking no matter how much I scrub it?
Did kaboom actually make it worse? Should I have worn a face mask when I attacked the shower with it? Is the vinegar solution somehow amping up the hard water and soap scum? I wonder where I can look up stuff on this?
Maybe I should read some sort of book on potty training to get us going on this...And so it goes.
2 comments:
I can't believe you're in the third trimester already! We just used low VOC paint in the kids bedroom and it was a dream...no smell at all. It was just Pittsburgh Paint, it seems like lots of "normal" paint companies have a low VOC option nowadays.
Wow, it's hard to believe (for me at least...I'm not the pregnant one!) you're already in your third trimester! Woohoo!
Honestly, after three kids I think that all that not being able to sleep during your third trimester is just God's way of getting you ready to be up and down after the baby is born! I was laughing about your train of thoughts...I can so identify. LOL!
When I was pregnant with Natalie, I also remember worrying about how I would love someone as much as Jacob and how I'd handle both of them, etc. It's amazing how your heart is able to open up for another child. You just can't imagine it until it happens. And your little guy will seem like he's always been there before you know it.
Something I'd recommend doing, though, is getting Sydney used to the idea of waiting for your attention at times. It all depends on how difficult that is for her now. But I think it's nice to get the older sibling ready way ahead of time so that the baby doesn't get here and they suddenly don't get your attention whenever they want it anymore. Maybe less of a jealousy issue that way?
It's a little tough to do when you have just one because you feel silly telling them to wait for you when you really could be responding to them right then and there. But it is good for them to learn to wait for you for a few minutes. It'll make life much easier when you are changing diapers and nursing every 3 minutes. :)
I am so excited for you...before long you'll be smelling that sweet little head and kissing teeny tiny toes and marveling at whose cuticles your son has inherited!
~Tamie
Post a Comment