Monday, August 17, 2009

bounty

Oh how I love this time of year when the farmer's market is overflowing with goodness and we can go for a walk and come back with the fixin's for something yummy.

I used to be known in town as the girl who always walked her dog, but now that our sweet Phoebe is gone, I fear I may be known as the berry theif. If you are not picking what's on your land, we will gladly do it for you. The patch we went to this morning was swarming with hornets or whatever those angry bee type things are and I felt it my duty to take some berries for us humans instead of letting the mean bees eat them all. I'm sure the people who own the land the bushes are on would agree.
When we got home and Sydney was drinking the sprinklers and Elias napping in the stroller, I went on a hunt in our own many-tiered yard for some berry bushes. I found one, but there were no berries. Is this because I haven't been picking them? Did the deer really eat every last morsel? Did our neighbors, who have mistaken our yard for a national park in which all are invited to hike, eat them all? I must research...

6 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! Micah and I just picked blackberries this morning as well. I love free, fresh produce! Also, can I have a copy of your pesto recipe? I don't love the one I have. And, although the bees are annoying, they serve a VERY crucial role in the growth and production of our crops. We just watched a documentary on the honey bee and how a mysterious disease and pesticide use is killing them. Two thirds of all the produce in the world depends on them to bear fruit! Very interesting!

Tiffany said...

Heather- I'll email you the pesto recipe. As always I messed with it a bit and found out that walnuts taste yummier in pesto to me and they are much cheaper! Say, if you make any jam out of your berries, I'll swap you some pesto. We are sort of drowning in it. My basil eyes at the marke were larger than my...food processor?

Kari said...

I just made pesto today too! (I won't brag how I grew all the basil myself) How are you storing yours? Did you find a recipe for storing it room temp in jars? I always freeze mine, so I am really curious. I agree walnuts taste great in it!

Tiffany said...

Kari- I am so envious that you got all of your basil out of your garden! I planted basil, but it's not doing as great as I'd hoped. I fear I'm a chronic under-waterer. I freeze all of my pesto too. I'm scared of canning and pesto freezes great!...Now, can you come teach me to garden?!

Kari said...

Let's see - water your basil every other day. I think that's it! : )

I also grew a new variety from seed called "Aroma 1" and it is super healthy compared to previous years. But could be the sunny weather. You should have no problems at all over there as long as you water and give it good soil...

Now, in exchange, can you send me a list of all your favorite fabric websites & fabric designers? I've looked on Etsy at the fabric shoppe and I'm trying to pick something for duvet covers for the kids.

Thanks!

mvpjmp said...

any ideas for nut-less pesto?

Maybe whoever stole your berries has the same theory as you do when walking past another's bush. tee hee

We had a raspberry bush in our yard in Moscow, but not a one ever made it inside. My darlings and I would just hover over it and eat it clean. I love my life!