(Thank you for the fun emails of response, encouragement and gentle mockery!)
So I was pumped yesterday as I made the soup, which was so yummy, and the zuccini bread, which Nick ate about 1/4 of for breakfast. I felt so full of good-for-my-little-family energy. Then, I decided to listen to Fresh Air while chasing Sydney around until Nick came home. The whole episode was devoted to how evil the banana industry has been and I was kind of sad about the reminder. Bananas are down right immoral as far as fruits go and they take deep soaks in pesticides apparently. phooey. I know I should eat local produce that is not built on the overthrowing of democratic governments and CIA coups and all, but after looking up what is in season right now, we would be down to radishes and oranges and some other things I'm not sure I could identify. I only kind of like oranges and that's after at least 20 minutes of peeling off all of the white stuff.
When I decided to try to make my new slightly embarassing love, tuna casserole, more healthy by skipping the processed cream of whatever soup and using yogurt and canola oil based mayo, I discovered that even my healthy attempt at mayo was foiled by high fructose corn syrup. It was down there on the list, but still! And the organic yogurt made it a wee bit tangy. In fact, Sydney spit it out. (I think that was due to the tuna though. Toddlers can make you nuts with their love it one week, hate it the next ways, I tell ya.)
So, I'm feeling a bit humbled in my healthy go-gettum efforts from yesterday. I realized we have a long way to go. I tried to like organic soy creamer this morning and just plain didn't. I also tried to ignore the fact that our huge block of Tillamook cheese is not organic and neither is the yummy butter that is always on sale at Winco. At least Tillamook is kind of like local--it's nearly local to Nick's hometown, which we just visited. I suppose I'll have to choose my battles and feel good about eradicating the obvious nastiness from the cupboard for now.
sigh
p.s. My sister wrote me an email full of Trader Joe's love and it further depressed me. Why does TJ's hate eastern Washington? We're people too ya know.
6 comments:
Hi Tiffany, this is Sarri, Pam's Tate's daughter (Marylou's friend), anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I enjoy checking in on your blog every now and then. Sydney is such a doll! I also wanted to tell you that while Tillamook Cheese isn't organic, the cows do not have the growth hormone in them. http://www.tillamookcheese.com/FAQS/Growth_Hormones.aspx
Good for you and your healthy efforts! I try to buy local and in season, but seriously. I can NOT give up avacados!
Hi Sarri! Thanks so much for the Tillamoook tip! I am writing this across my daily 1/2 a grilled cheese that I share with Sydney and I suddenly feel much better about it. Thanks for your encouragement! p.s. I adore your mom. We snuck over when we went for Grandma's party and I was amazed yet again by what a great lady she is.
Hi Tiffany, this is Kelly, a friend of Sarah's, and I have been blog surfing all naptime today and got the giggles when I read your post. I had the exact same thoughts Monday night and I sat down with my big healthy cookbook and planned two weeks of great, fresh food. I woke up the next morning truly inspired but by the time we got out of the house for our massive health food shopping trip the kids were starving, so they stuffed themselves with Wendy's chicken nuggets while I stuffed the cart with every veggie Winco sells. Hey, you can't win them all!
By the way, your daughter is too cute and I think she should have won the Suri contest!
If Spokane had a Trader Joe's - I would go with you!
You should feel better that you are on the verge of mastering the art of bread making!!!! Also, we need to see more of those pigtails! I have yet to see them in person.
Oh also, we should write to Trader Joe's!!! I have a lot of activist energy left in me after my tangle with Southwest Airlines :)
Post a Comment