Tuesday, April 1, 2008

messenger bags and changing pads



In the day or so before we left for our California adventure, what was I doing? No, not packing. No, not cleaning the house so it would be oh-so-nice when we returned. Instead I was feverishly sewing. I was suddenly inspired to make Heather a changing pad for the new baby (am I allowed to say it out loud now? my sis is pregnant! yippee!) as she is a girl dedicated to a clean existence, especially for little ones. I actually made three and the dark blue one was voted the best product, by my critical staff: Nick. Then, still in a make-something fever, I decided to make myself a messenger bag as I wanted a mommy bag that allowed me to be hands-free while flying solo with my little girl. So, it's not perfect, but for following an online
tutorial and using my eternal leftover fabrics (I'm nearly out of the orange woven stuff that was supposed to be on Sydney's bumper, finally), I feel pretty good about it. My next one will definitely have batting or interfacing to firm it up, but I wasn't in the mood on my trial run to mess with batting, especially in tandem with the funky orange woven fabric that likes to do fun things when one tries to cut and sew it. I loathe cutting batting. It sets off the same nerve that the idea of licking a towel does. ick.


No comments: