Monday, June 8, 2009

Elias' Name

(in his new, beautiful quilt from sweet Juli)
Anyone who has been talking to us about the naming process over the past 9 months knows that it's been a real struggle. I would love a name (Oliver), Nick would not like it one bit. Nick would suggest a name (Roy is my "fave") and I could not decide if I should laugh or cry at his suggestion. Then, we both loved a name, but one of my dearest friends has a little guy with that name and it just seemed wrong to use it (even though she graciously said I could).
A few weeks ago, Nick absolutely loved the sermon that I wasn't able to hear because Sydney didn't want me to leave the nursery and I got to chatting with another mommy down there. On the way home Nick was talking about how great the sermon was and suggested a name that was in a story in the sermon: Elias. I thought it was a cool sounding name, but the kind of name I'd perhaps like one of my friends to use and I'd think it was great.
We put the naming on the backburner of our minds for a while and the night he was born, I wanted to "sleep on it" (ha, I napped for an hour or so, too high on the adrenaline rush to really rest and my iv machine made this weird snorting noise every 7 seconds). By morning I knew that this was definitely the name for our little man. And, Waldon, his middle name after my mom's dad, we'd known since October.

This morning I finally was able to hear the sermon that the name came from and it makes me even happier to name him Elias. Sydney and I snuggled up and played with eachother's hair while Elias slept and we listened to the sermon. That sweet moment added to the name even more. Here is a link to our church's website. On the left, the sermon title is Expanding Love by Chip Laird, if anyone wants to listen to it.

Sydney in her sweet big-sister kicks from Auntie Heather

No comments: