Friday, March 5, 2010

You knew it

So you knew that after all of that happy "I-love-this-life" talk, something had to try to get us down. At 4:30 Thursday morning, I picked Elias up out of his crib and turned to go sit in his rocking chair when I felt a sharp, oh-so-bad-news pain in my lower back and immediately felt my muscles starting to seize up. I boogied upstairs with my back held carefully erect and Elias in my arms, fearful that if I fell down and yelled, Nick the super-sleeper would not hear me. I was having visions of those "I've fallen and I can't get up commercials." not good.

We went to sleep, but I knew I was in some serious trouble. By the time I woke up for the day, my back hurt so bad that I couldn't get out of our bed and couldn't put any weight on my feet. This is not a recipe for a good day as the mama of a baby and a 3-year old.
.
But, I have to say that my horribly painful back and lame-sauce day of laying in bed turned out okay in the end. Nick helped me get up and get to the potty a few times. Elias was a really good sport about spending the day on the bed with mommy and some of my favorite entertainment these days is watching him play and figure things out. Above all, family and friends were so helpful, I felt overwhelmed by their kindness. Aunt Sarah heard of my predicament and called at 7:45 offering to take Sydney for a few hours to play with her cousins, which turned into a full-day playdate, including cousin naptime. My mother-in-law called mid-morning to see if Sydney could come spend the night at their house. Although I was really missing my little girl by the end of the day and felt kind of drippy about sending her off to Grandma's house, I knew that she would have a lot more fun with her cousins at Grandma's house than she would have here with her debilitated and probably patience-low mama. Three friends called offering to bring us anything we needed; my friend with a 4-week old and two big boys of her own nearly wouldn't take no for an answer as she rattled off 3 different plans of how she was going to help me get through the day. My mom had her bible study pray for me and kept calling to check in. My baby sis offered to drive out for the weekend...I felt so blessed and loved and taken care of that my day in bed really wasn't so bad.
(This is from last week when Grandma took in the bathroom remodel fugitives.
It is one of the last pics of Elias pre haircut from Mom.)

Today I can actually walk across the room all by my big girl self and Nick has picked up Elias and moved him about for me several times. And, since our bathroom is still in the process of being remodeled, I asked one of the guys to carry my big baby upstairs for me at one point. He's a daddy, so he was super cute about it.

Anyway, I learned the hard way about publicizing how darn happy I am. But, at the end of the day, who can even think about being sad in the face of this kind of joy?

7 comments:

j said...

I love, love, love this video! So cute! I smiled with tears in my eyes.

I am so sorry to hear about your back pain, but I'm also glad you're being taken care of. It's a testament to the person that you are that so many people want to help you and do kind things for you. You must be doing something right!

Feel better!

Jason said...

Ahhh! Tiffany! That does not sound fun but I'm glad that you had loads of people to help out! I'll be praying that you are completely recovered asap!

-Liz

Connie said...

I hope your back is better soon - I'm sorry you had to miss your book! That video is a jewel.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the back well-wishing girls! I think I'm on the mend!

Jackie- Thanks for the sweet compliment. I've wanted to call you all week, so let's try for a phone date this coming week!

Liz- Your sweet hubby was my baby mover. I'm actually going to miss having him around. He's been really sweet to us.

Connie- I was so sad to miss out!

TheFiveDays said...

That video is the cure to all ailments. LOL! Tiffany, you are one special person...there is a reason so many have rushed to your aid when you were down. :) I have been going through some back/neck issues myself and can completely empathize...congratulations on getting across the room all on your own! Feel better!

jms said...

I'm bookmarking this video as general purpose pick-me-up! JOY!

mvpjmp said...

Glad you are feeling better! Love the video!