Thursday, December 9, 2010

wonder x 2

I wrote a post several years ago about the joy of seeing the wonder of Christmas through my baby girl's eyes. Little did I know the joys ahead of me as she grew into a hilarious toddler and thoughtful little girl and then came the joy of two little sets of eyes staring at the Christmas tree in the pre-dawn light, completely entranced. Every day has a bit of magic in it these days.

We went to get our Christmas tree this weekend and I felt like we were in a few scenes from a Hallmark Christmas special. The drive was cold and clear and beautifully white. When we pulled up the trees were all dusted with snow. Sydney hollered, "But Mom! I wanted a decorated tree! Like Grandma's!" She has apparently blocked out the hours of Nick just hanging the lights on the tree each year.

This is the first year that Sydney has any notion of Santa, and I'm enjoying hearing her sing her own version of Deck the Halls in the backseat which contains a verse about Santa bringing her a kitty for Christmas. And, most mornings she gets up and asks, "Is it Christmas Eve?!" with so much anticipation that I hate to say no. I tell her "It's the Christmas season!" every day. She clasps her hands in front of her face and does this dreamy blinky thing. Has this child been watching old movies? Her girly excitement kills me.

I hope you are enjoying the season, whether you have little eyes to see it through or not. I love it, love it, love it.

2 comments:

amy said...

i love that! and to quote my favorite david james duncan, "wonder, like grace, is not a condition we grasp, wonder grasps us."

Tiffany said...

awh amy and awh djd. love you both!