Thursday, March 24, 2011

hints of spring



It's not quite here yet, and on the Palouse our spring can be fleeting, or simply wet and cold or even snowy. But today was one of those days that is full of the promise of spring, which at this time of year is just about as good as the real thing. It was a whopping 59 on the bank sign, but that's always warmer than reality. But again, at this time of year, the illusion is all I need. The kids and I went out for a little walk to the post office to send a treat to a friend and then we went to the park for a few minutes to play as our dinner finished up all on its own at home. (I could write a whole other post in praise of slow cooking.)


The first trip to the park after our winter hiatus is always a big marker in my kids lives, or I guess just my mama heart, because I can see the huge difference in them since the last time we were at the park in the sunshine. Elias can now walk all around and climb on structures, without my help. yahoo! But, he follows his agile sister and tries to do everything her able 4-year old body does. yikes. Sydney was leaping up things I spotted her on last summer; Elias was full of wonder at how high he could get himself all by himself and was swatting at my helping hands, saying his new favorite word, "no!" followed by his second fave, "my!"

In Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Annie Dillard sees the world as full of "unwrapped gifts and free surprises" that are waiting for us if we choose to see them. She goes on to say, "But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day...you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days." These words come to my mind a lot when I'm with my kids because they so easily see the small miracles in the world, freaking out in joy over a pretty rock or the rainbow that has been showing up on the floor outside the bathroom in the late afternoon or trying to catch spring raindrops in their hands as mom runs home from the park.

I love having little kids for so many reasons, but this is one of my favorite things: they help me see better. I can't step over the free gifts and surprises in life with little people stooping down in front of me to take a closer look at life's daily mysteries.

Nick is working late again tonight, but the kids and I are eating popsicles on the deck, celebrating all things new and beautiful. I hope you are too.

4 comments:

Amber said...

How is your boy getting SO big?!? I feel like with each new picture, he has grown an inch! I miss them(okay and you :)! Give them a hug from auntie!

TheFiveDays said...

Wow, I haven't been by for a bit and Elias is two years older, it seems! LOL! Glad you are getting a little taste of spring, and enjoying all the pleasures those little ones bring!

Naomi Cox said...

sweet...so looking forward to meeting elias for the first time & seeing how big sydney is since last time i saw her!

Heather said...

Those first glimpses of Spring are so exciting...dreaming about days spent playing outdoors. Popsicles in March sounds like the perfect way to bring in the season!