Today was one of those family days that seems idyllic and reminds me how lucky I am to have my sweet little family and the opportunity to be with them each and every day (well, at least two of them). The sun was shining, our coffee was the perfect strength, the kids were both happy and fed. ah.
.
We go apple picking every year, but last year we never made it in part because our apple picking partners moved away in September (sniff) and then I was pregnant and quite naseous and suddenly the season was past. So, last winter there was no applesauce or apple pie hanging out happily in our freezer. It was sorely missed.

This year, we were there on opening day, about an hour after they opened, and we magically had the whole orchard to ourselves! Sydney had such a great time running up and down the rows and picking apples (many of the wrong ones, alas) and twirling all about. The whole outing took a surprising 30 minutes. If you walk up to a completely full apple tree, it doesn't take long to fill two bags, even with a pair of wild, chubby little hands helping.
After we got back to the house, I started coring and peeling the apples and Sydney helped for a bit, but then went and lay with Elias on his play mat and showed him the wonders of play dough. He seemed enthralled.
After we got back to the house, I started coring and peeling the apples and Sydney helped for a bit, but then went and lay with Elias on his play mat and showed him the wonders of play dough. He seemed enthralled.
My applesauce looks like a vat of yuck here, but I assure you it is tasty. I'm hoping the two pies and apple bake I made while both kids were napping at the same time (!!!) turn out equally tasty..
Say, I just realized that my first post was about apple picking, nearly two years ago! Look what two years did to my baby girl. yikes. It's going too fast.

2 comments:
The same day you published your blog post about apple picking, I published my post about picking blueberries! Clearly, we should have joined forces and gone together. Think of all the fruit we would have! Love you sis!
What fun! We had an apple tree in our yard in Moscow. Too much fun.
-tina
Post a Comment