Friday, December 12, 2008

little landmarks I wasn't expecting

Sydney kicked me out of her room two times this week. I wasn't expecting this to happen for another 5-10 years. The first time, she had just woken up and I had plugged in her Christmas tree. Apparently she wanted a moment alone with her tree, because she gently pushed on my leg and said, "No Mommy room." So, I went and started breakfast. This evening when I came back from my pre-natal appointment, Sydney and Nick were playing with her leggos. She informed me she was playing with Daddy at the moment and I should come back at a better time. (I can't remember her exact sentence.)

These were mommy moments when I felt like this was something big in my little girl's life and I had to consciously choose to feel the right reaction. (that sentence will not come out correctly). I think as mommies we can so badly need for our babies to love and need us, that we neglect helping them become the independent people we want them to be. It's tough, even in little moments like these. As far as her wanting to play with Daddy alone, it was easy to smile and let them be. Lately, there are few things more precious than the sight of my girl and my man playing so happily together. Nick comes home to a repetition of "Daddy play blocks? Play blocks Daddy?" sometimes off and on throughout all of dinner. Again, I think it's easy for the mommy heart to feel a little neglected in these moments, like why doesn't she want me me me all the time? I'm glad I decided early on not to let those feelings linger and to cherish and help nurture the beautiful relationship between my two most precious people.

On a lighter note, as we were playing upstairs this evening so Daddy could get some work done on his computer, she picked up my new beautiful bracelet that my sis gave me for Christmas. I asked her to put it back because it was special to mommy and she said, "Sydney too" and put it on and put her arm out to display how pretty it looked on her arm. I pictured us sharing clothes and scarves and things when she is older, but I wasn't quite ready to share with my almost two year old little lady. But it did go nicely with her outfit.

This wasn't going to be in this post, but I had my pre-natal appointment today (or whatever you call those) and I have to say that I really enjoyed it! It was dumping huge flakes of beautiful snow outside, the clinic was nearly empty and my doctor was really sweet. I get to see baby via ultrasound each time and it was so fun to see those little fingers and toes making fists and kicking about. I was downright giddy about this new little life that my body is harboring. What was fun was that my doctor was just about giddy too, peeking at that precious little life. I drove home in the white beauty just beaming, so excited for our little family to grow. And, when I got home, Nick had put white lights around all of the railing down to the street and I nearly squealed with Christmas delight. And, that's when I came in to find them so happily playing blocks and savoring their time together.

I love my little family.

Nick has just reported that one of the only shows we like is on! yay!

1 comment:

mvpjmp said...

This is a terrific post. The pictures at the beginning are fantastic! I know what you mean about the unexpected landmarks. I find them much more meaningful than the signposts that you know to look out for. Sophia is much more independent that Luke ever was (or still is), and that is a little weird for me sometimes.